There are a lot of people, especially women, who are very unhappy with the size of their calf muscles and are considering drastic action such as surgery to fix the problem. However, if you are one of these people, you should know that you don’t have to take such invasive measures to make your calves smaller. In this article I will go over some things you can do to fix the size of your calves.
1. Make sure your heels are down when you walk. Don’t walk on the balls of your foot. When you walk more on your heels you engage the calf muscle less than when you walk on the balls of your feet.
2. Try running. When you run you can reshape your legs and calves. Now, you don’t want to sprint or run short distances at a fast pace. You want to run longer and slower. What you want to do are certain cardio activities that provide little to no resistance. In other words you don’t want to run uphill. So when you are running outside or on a treadmill you want to make sure you’re on a flat surface, not on an incline. Long distance running on a flat surface will reduce the size of the calf muscle itself and also reduces the fatty tissue surrounding it.
3. Do not engage in any activities that require jumping or high impact movements. This means you don’t want to jump rope or do plyometric training. Activities like swimming, walking, and using the elliptical machine are excellent ways to make your calves slimmer. Using an elliptical trainer can provide great, low impact, muscle toning (not muscle building) exercise. Just make sure you don’t use any resistance.
4. Don’t climb stairs and don’t use the stair machine.
5. Weight training with very light weights and a lot of repetitions will help to tone the muscle instead of bulking it up. You want to use 5 or 10 pounds of weight and do 20-30 (or more) repetitions. Using heavier weight with less reps will only build your muscle up.
6. Stretching is a great way to elongate the muscle so that it’s leaner and not larger. When you stretch it will lengthen the muscle instead of bulking it up. Pilates and yoga are perfect for this. Also, you can find stretching videos that will show you how to stretch your entire body properly. Just make sure you’re careful as you can pull or tear muscles if you overdo it.
Learn More About Getting Slim, Smaller, And Sexy Calves: